Civic Arts/Public Art Committee Meeting
Encinitas City Hall, Carnation Room
505 S. Vulcan, Encinitas CA 92024
Wednesday, December 2, 2015, 2:00–3:30 pm
Host/Co-Chair: Jim Gilliam
- Jim Gilliam, Co-Chair
- Naomi Nussbaum, Co-Chair
- Vincent Kitch, absent
- Daniel Foster
- Drew Cady
- Brigid Parsons
- Amelia Xann
- Robert Parker, absent
- Roberta Walker
- James Enos
- Julia Fister, absent
- Megan Gilby
- Ted Snoddy, absent
- Brett Reisdorf, absent
- Brett Haydn
- Cherrie LaPorte, absent
- Discussions about the Arts Prosperity Summit opportunity with the SDNEDC and CSUSM: Aim to Spring 2017 for summit; Develop targeted and tangible infrastructure and development programs for cities and corporations in North County.
- Research and promote “cultural districts” in key communities in North County.
- Convene the various city arts/public art commissions in North County to share work and best practices
- Target one or two key local cities in North County to advocate for stronger city management priority and infrastructure for the arts (i.e. Oceanside).
- Advocate for professional cultural planning processes at key cities in No. County
- Advocate for professional arts administration/staffing at key cities in No. County
- Research and identify sustainable funding methodologies for the arts
- Educate and train our arts organizations and local/regional arts communities to advocate effectively
- Amelia Xann suggested arranging a site visit to the Los Angeles County Arts Commission and key staff to discuss “best practices” of regional arts councils.
- NCAN can be a forum on political campaigns in North County (i.e., hold a Candidates Forum with the three candidates running for County Supervisor in District 3, etc.)
- Develop a regional overview of public arts projects/collections in North County.
- Develop upcoming and younger arts leaders in the region.
- Engage the massive long-term I-5 Fwy/Caltrans efforts that present opportunities for the arts community