Open Your Hearts to North County Arts
Open Your Hearts to North County Arts: October, 2018
The North County Arts Network is excited to announce a North County wide promotion of arts and culture covering the areas inland from Fallbrook to Poway and the coastal regions between Oceanside and La Jolla. This month long celebration during October coordinates with National Arts and Humanity month. Our goal is to build public awareness in the following ways:
- Through the coordination of our Steering Committee of Arts Leaders, we have motivated over 200 visual and performing arts resources to hold events in October and to collaborate with local businesses.
- On social media sites using #OYH2NCA #Openyourheartstoarts #Northcountyarts
- A concerted campaign to announce this promotion, including 5000 special flyers, 2500 brochures, website promotion, social media feeds, e-blasts, videos and word of mouth, will take full advantage of the media partner San Diego Visual Arts Network which gets one million hits a year. Presentations will be made to civic and community organizations, hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions.
- ArtWalk Carlsbad is the launch for Open Your Hearts to North County Arts where parking was FREE and abundant on Sat-Sun, Sept 22-23, 2018 at Armada Drive where we had a booth and our members were invited to perform samples of their performances on the event stage. There will be chalk art as well as live music, a wine and beer garden, food trucks, interactive art experiences and more. This is a ticketed event and thousands are expected to attend .Our exhibiting artist showing in the NCAN booth at ArtWalk is portrait painter Laura Converse. She aims to help you to better understand the uniqueness of “you” and sharpen your view of the face. She invites you to draw a portrait of yourself! Using a template and pencil, you will trace a quick 10 minute sketch, be your own creative self and produce a special drawing. No previous experience is necessary; you will receive easy instructions from a talented teacher.North County Arts Network (NCAN) provided a diverse line-up of local performing artists to entertain attendees during the first hour of each day at the inaugural ArtWalk in Carlsbad.Watch utube videos of the performances from:
The Saturday line-up opens with MiraCosta Community College Theater students, Skylar Beckett and McKenna Foote, who will provide dramatic vignettes of THIS HURTS from Almost Maine and SURE THING from All in the Timing. Beckett and Foote have been performing together for over 5 years. Many events at MiraCosta are open to the public. Check these out at http://www.miracosta.edu/events.html
Next on the agenda was LITVAKdance, a North County based contemporary modern dance company, whose mission is to develop programming that will engage a wide-range of audience members through community engagement, concert style dance and educational programming. Litvak company members Ashley Akhavan, Beverly Johnson, and Emily Miller with guest performer Issa Hourani will perform in both group and solo numbers. LITVAKdance founder, Sadie Weinberg, takes contemporary dance to a fresh and innovative level in our County. Learn more at https://www.litvakdance.com/
The Bad Carls, a local alternative pop acoustic band, will supply musical entertainment both days. Kate Battenfeld, the music teacher at Buena Vista Elementary School and Vocalist and Guitarist for the Bad Carls, will perform solo on Saturday. On Sunday, Battenfeld will be joined by her band mates, Ken Moran, singing and playing percussion and Steve Galfano, singing and playing guitar. Like them on Facebook, at https://www.facebook.com/thebadcarls/
Sunday’s line-up continues with a dance presentation by Emily Miller from The Performing Arts Workshop (PAW) in Encinitas. PAW has been offering high-caliber dance training to the greater San Diego dance community since 1996. Their studio is a safe, inclusive environment for everyone from the dance appreciator to the professional dancer. PAW enables each student to reach his or her full potential through hard work, encouragement, discipline, individual focus, dance education, correct technical training, creativity, and artistry. For more info: https://www.dancepaw.com/
Concluding the North County Arts Network performing arts offering on Sunday, was the Stratacapellas. The audience will be astounded by the vocal maturity of these young singers. This amazingly talented group, coached by Katie Gardner, will perform several recognizable pop songs acapella including “No” by Megan Trainor and “Dog Days Are Over” by Florence and the Machine.
- Art Rhythm & Wine Festival at The Forum at Carlsbad (1923 Calle Barcelona) is an event with over 50 artists displaying their work, a wine garden, a wide variety of performances, and a silent auction with the proceeds going to NCAN. During this event on Sat-Sun, Oct 20-21, 2018 we highlighted the work of some of our visual artists in our booth to further spread the word about Open Your Hearts to North County Arts. Read about the weekend in our blog.
- Major media sponsor Art San Diego held Oct 18 to 21, 2018 (at the Wyland Center of the Del Mar Fairgrounds). Read about the four art filled days in SD Art Prize at Art San Diego plus selectors choices.
- Studio Ace (EIN # 81-4109420) is the fiscal sponsor for NCAN and 5% will go to its education programming.
- Our wonderful logo gif has been created by Kate Donnelly
- FOR VENUES: Check that your organization is listed in the NCAN directory and that you know your user name (the email address) and password. Go to the directory on www.sdncan.org and do a search for your org. If you don’t know the password look at the email address attached to the listing and you can have a reset password request sent to that email address; if that fails start over with a new listing. We can delete the old listing for you. Login and add your event. You have to add an image and mark your event as Visual or Preforming. Remember if you are listing a series of events, the time is the variable on the series for example: 5pm shows are one entry & 7pm would need a duplicate entry regardless of the dates. Contact Patricia 760 943 0148 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help with this.
- Add the following hashtags for all social media postings to denote your event: #openyourheartstoarts and #OYH2NCA.
- FOR TALENT: There is still time to participate in Art Rhythm & Wine Festival Oct 20-21. There is visual exhibition space in our free booth. Please contact Amanda Ecoff if you are interested in wide exposure for your talent at one or both of these events or have items to donate to the silent auction.
- FOR SEEKERS OF ARTS AND CULTURE EXPERIENCES: Check out our events calendar for October and put together a party to visit any of the exciting visual and performing arts that are featured.
Our Vision is to invigorate the arts community, enhance quality of life, and encourage prosperity in our region. By using the power of collective impact, we are leveraging the creative community in the North County San Diego region to maximize support for the arts and to enhance the lives of our residents and visitors.
Our Mission is to ensure that the arts are recognized as vital in the lives of its people by using an innovative vision and collaborative effort to strengthen the arts; to serve, advance, and lead in the maintenance of a diverse network of institutions, businesses, and individuals who work in the arts; to maintain a directory of arts resources and organizations and a calendar of events in the region.
We are grateful to the City Carlsbad Community Grant, San Diego Visual Arts Network, and Synergy Arts Foundation for helping to fund OPEN YOUR HEARTS TO NORTH COUNTY ARTS.